•   9 months ago

Source Code Upload Requirement

I was going to enter this contest until I checked the rules and saw that you had to upload your entry code to GitHub. I can't do that as I'm sure many others can't. I've never understood this requirement because it seems like a good way to ensure that people that have spent a lot of time developing something valuable over the years will not participate. Given that this is a machine learning contents, a subject that takes years to master, this seems that much more strange.

"Provide a way to access the project for judging and testing, including a link to the repo hosting the application’s code and any other deployment files and testing instructions needed for testing the project. (The Github code repository may be public or private. If the repository is private, share access with testing@devpost.com)"

• 6 comments

•   •   9 months ago

im thinking of using the UX for custom machine learning with my own data set so not really sure what "source code" I need to share. more details would be helpful.

• Manager   •   9 months ago

Hi Tom,

If you used the automated ML UX, please share (at minimum):
    - the dataset you used (or a link to it)
    - screenshots of the Azure portal where you specified the configuration for your automated ML experiment, so that we can reproduce your experiment if necessary
    - screenshots of the graphs and metrics from your automated ML experiment results

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

•   •   9 months ago

i have a proprietary dataset that cannot be public. this is a big issue for ML especially deep learning that will limit a lot of quality submissions. I believe this is what Robert is eluding to.

screenshots of the training is fine. Azure can be checked under the account also.

• Manager   •   9 months ago

Hi Tom (and Robert)

If the dataset is proprietary, you do not need to share it. It would be helpful if you could describe the dataset in your submission though!

Thanks!

• Manager   •   9 months ago

Hi Robert,

We wanted to address your concern and per the rules of the hackathon, "A. Maker Rights: Subject to the licenses described below, any applicable intellectual property rights to a Submission will remain with the Maker."

Access to the repository also allows for proper testing and judging of the application as it is intended to function. However, per the rules, we assure you that all IP rights will remain with the maker regardless of the result of testing.

Best,
    Khimee

•   •   9 months ago

@khimee Leong

From my original post:

"Yes I saw the "private" part of that paragraph. You're still asking us to share the code, at least with you. Anyone with any source code that provides a competitive advantage to them in the marketplace is going to pass on this contest. My two cents."

Comments are closed.